MAKE YOUR LIST AND CHECK IT TWICE
With Christmas right around the corner and the New Year knocking on our door, most of us will be taking a break from acting to binge on fistfulls of cookies while watching our favorite holiday movies in order to avoid the insane roads full of procrastinating Christmas shoppers and the inevitable (not bite) punch in the face from Jack Frost as soon as we open the door. Descriptive, I know. I had to get your attention. Why? Because while you think that any ol’ Christmas movie will do the job, I know that, as an actor, it’s your duty to be a proper film buff, even when it comes to holiday films. To help you out, I, with the help of the already flawless rankings from PopSugar Entertainment, have composed a list of your must-watch holiday movies.
- It’s A Wonderful Life- Jimmy Stewart’s performance in this film is nothing short of magical. Most Christmas movies make you feel good, but this one, beginning with the main character questioning his worth and contemplating suicide, makes you feel every emotion in the spectrum before you get there.
- A Christmas Story- There’s a good reason this film has its own marathon every year. This retro classic presents the utterly relatable storyline of Ralphie, played by the talented (then) child actor Peter Billingsley.
- Elf- Who would have thought a former SNL cast member would be the lead role in what would become a modern holiday classic? This whimsical Will Ferrell movie is a must-watch.
- White Christmas- Another timeless classic, this masterpiece starring the velvety voice of Bing Crosby is sure to get you in the Christmas spirit.
- Love Actually- You didn’t think I’d leave off the Rom Coms, did you? This “ultimate romantic comedy” boasts a cast full of A-listers as well as a charming story line that reminds you that love is everywhere, especially around the holidays.
- Christmas Vacation- The National Lampoons are at it again! This quirky Christmas movie starring the hilarious Chevy Chase will have you rolling like a pin on cookie dough.
- The Nightmare Before Christmas- Is it Halloween? Is it Christmas? Who knows. Either way, it’s a family favorite all year round.
- Home Alone- Macaulay Culkin may have been a one-hit wonder, but these two (yes, only the first two) holiday movies showcase child acting at its best while reminding us that we should appreciate our families… before they leave us behind to go on an awesome vacation.
- Bad Santa- With a sequel on the way, this wild holiday movie will make you feel a bit better about being on the naughty list.
STAY TUNED FOR THE REST OF THE LIST NEXT FRIDAY, DECEMBER 16!
Written by Katherine White / December 9, 2016